Thursday, January 26, 2012

Chest, Shoulders, Triceps and Abs - Volume Day!

Greetings,

Today I worked out my shoulders, chest, triceps and abs.  It was a very intense workout because I had to do many reps/sets within 1 hour, hence the name "Volume Day".  On volume day's, I focus on using higher rep's (the number of times I left a weight within a set) with lighter weights that I usually use.  This type of weight lifting leads to a very lean, cut look and really fatigues the muscles.  This type of workout is in contrast to "Heavy Day's" (lifting heavier weights for a lower amount of reps).

Post volume-day pic




















Here is my volume-day workout, with links to videos of how to perform the exercise.  I try to keep things simple, fast and challenging.:

Exercise                                  Set, Reps, Weight (lbs)

Chest
Flat Dumbbell Flys                    4,     15,     50
Incline Dumbbell Flys                4,     12,     50
Decline Dumbbell Flys               4,     10,     50       


Shoulders
Seated Machine Press                     4,    12,     140
Standing Dumbbell Front Raise        4,    8,        20
Seated Dumbbell Lateral Raise        4,    8,        20

Triceps
Bench Dips                                4,    17,        Body-weight

Abs
Jack Knife Sit-up                    3,    15
Mountain Climbers                  3,     10
Cross Mountain Climbers        3,     8


I work through these exercise very quickly because I workout on my lunchbreak.  I rest anywhere between 30-60 seconds per set.  I love this workout because it challenges me both physically and mentally.  I am usually in the gym alone when I workout, which helps provide great focus.  I have my high-energy music playing, which helps me to stay motivated and pull through those last reps.  I usually perform this workout 2 times per week, on non-consecutive days. 

My next article will be about Arms & Back - Volume Day.  

Until then, rush to a fitter YOU!

Regards,


-Mike "Camo" Lee
Mountain Rush Fitness

2 comments:

  1. I've been absent for some time, but now I remember why I used to love this web site. Thanks , I'll try and check back more frequently. How frequently you update your web site?
    Knobbed Rolling Pin - 10 Inch

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don’t know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog, I will keep visiting this blog very often. SurgeonGate

    ReplyDelete